Associate Professor of Chemistry
Degree: PhD, The Scripps Research Institute
Chemical Biology, Biochemistry, Organic, Pharmaceutical
- B.S. Chemistry, 1994, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
- M.S. Chemistry, 1996, National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan
- Ph.D. Chemistry, 2005, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA
- Postdoctoral fellow, 2005-2011, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA
Our group develops new interdisciplinary strategies based on chemistry and applying the concept of controlling proximity to regulate RNAs and to engineer mammalian cells. The current research focuses include the development of novel molecules to control the function of miRNAs, the inducible editing platforms for epigenetic research, and new chemistry-based synthetic biology approaches to create artificial synthetic cells. Using these unique technologies, we aim to understand the posttranscriptional regulatory mechanisms in gene expression and to develop new therapies using synthetic molecules and cells for treating cancers and other human diseases.
- Zeng, G., Wang, Y., Bruchez, M., Liang, F. -S. A Self-Reporting Chemically Induced Protein Proximity System Based on a Malachite Green Derivative and the L5** Fluorogen Activating Protein. Bioconjugate Chem. 2018, DOI: 10.1021/acs.bioconjchem.8b00415.
- Yan, H., Bhattarai, U., Song, Y., Liang, F. -S. Design, synthesis and activity of light deactivatable microRNA inhibitor. Chem. 2018, 80, 492.
- Zhao, W., Nguyen, H, Zeng, G., Gao, D. Yan H., Liang, F-S. “Chemically Induced Proximity System Engineered from the Plant Auxin Signaling Pathway” Sci. 2018, 9, 5822.
- Gao, D., Liang, F-S. “Chemical Inducible dCas9-guided Editing of H3K27 Acetylation in Mammalain Cells” Methods Mol. Biol. 2018, 1767,
- Chen, T., Gao, D., Zhang, R., Zeng, G.,Yan, H., Lim, E., Liang, F-S. “Chemically Controlled Epigenome Editing Through an Inducible dCas9 System” Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 11337.
- Yan, H., Bhattarai, U., Guo, Z., Liang, F. -S. “Regulating miRNA-21 Biogenesis by Bi-functional Small Molecules” Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 4987.
- Zeng, G., Li, H., Wei, Y., Xuan, W., Zhang, R., Breden, L. E., Wang, W., Liang, F. -S. “Engineering Iron Responses in Mammalian Cells by Signal-Induced Protein Proximity” ACS Synth. Biol. 2017, 6,
- Zeng, G., Xuan, W., Zhang, R., Wang, W., Liang, F. -S. “Constructing de novo H2O2 Signaling via Induced Protein Proximity” ACS Chem. Biol. 2015, 10,
- Wright, C. W., Guo, Z. -F, Liang, F. -S. “Light control of cellular processes using photocaged abscisic acid” ChemBioChem, 2015,16,
- Jin, Q., Liang, F. -S. “Chemical Tools for Spatiotemporal Regulation of microRNAs” Chem. Curr. Res. 2013, 2, e121.
We welcome applications for postdoctoral associates, graduate students, and undergraduate students. Potential graduate and undergraduate students should email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Postdoctoral applicants should send inquires and CV to email@example.com.